Joseph Palis, Assistant Professor; Director, Third World Studies Center
Ph.D. Geography, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2008
Specializations: Media-geographies, Film Geographies/Cartographic Cinema, Spatial Humanities, Countercartographies, Emotional Geographies, Nightscapes, Geospatial storytelling
- Cultural Geography (Graduate class GEOG 226 & Undergraduate class GEOG 173)
- Geohumanities & Spatial Humanities (GEOG 214)
- Cultures of Mapping and Counter-Cartographies (Graduate class GEOG 292)
- Cinematic Geographies ~ National Cinema (Graduate class GEOG 242)
- Media Geographies (Graduate class GEOG 242)
- Field Methods in Geography (GEOG 192)
- Places and Landscapes in a Changing World (GEOG 1)
- Intermediate International Studies (IS 393 @ NC State University)
- Modern Asian Cinema (ENG 492/IDS 496 @ NC State University)
- East and Southeast Asian Cinema (IDS 496/ENG 492 @ NC State University)
- Cinema, Nation & Globalization (INTS 92 @ UNC-Chapel Hill)
- Introduction to East Asian National Cinema (COM 451 @ UNC Chapel Hill)
- Global Issues (INTS 210 @ UNC Chapel Hill)
- World Regional Geography (GEOG 120 @ UNC-Chapel Hill)
- Mobile Geographies: The Political Economy of Migration (GEOG 452 @ UNC-Chapel Hill)
- Nation and National Identity in an Age of Globalization (AMST 277 @ UNC-Chapel Hill)
- Asia Pacific: The ‘Far East’ and the ‘Orient’ (GEOG 265 @ UNC Chapel Hill)
- Palis, Joseph (2018). “Metro Manila: La citta come testo e non luggo (Metro Manila: The city as text and non-place)”, in Domus (Special Issue: Architecture in the Philippines, December 2018.
- Wißmann, Torsten & Joseph Palis (2018). “Not Fade Away”, in Kimberley Peters’ Sound, Space and Society: Rebel Radio, London: Palgrave-Macmillan Pivot Series.
- Wißmann, Torsten & Joseph Palis (2018). “Media is the Focus”, in Tobias Boos’ Inhabiting Cyberspace: The Web Presence of the Contrade of Siena, Italy, London: Palgrave-Macmillan Pivot Series.
- Palis, Joseph (2017), “Of Spectralities and Afterlives in Philippine Cinema”, Plaridel Journal, 14(1), January-June 2017.
- Palis, Joseph (2016). “Lost Geographies and Post-Cartographic Cinema”, Territorios do Cinema: Representações e Paisagens da Pós-Modernidade (Territories of Cinema: Representations and Landscapes of Post-Modernity), Fatima Velez de Castro & João Luís J. Fernandes (eds.), Eumed: Universidade de Málaga.
- Palis, Joseph (2015). “Film Festivals, the Globalization of Images and Post- National Cinephilia”, The Pennsylvania Geographer, 53(2), Fall/Winter 2015.
- Finn, John & Joseph Palis (2015). “The Medium, The Message, and Media Geography in the 21st Century”, GeoJournal, 80(6), http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10708-015-9646-2/fulltext.html
- Cravey, Altha, Joseph Palis and Gabriela Valdivia (2015). “Imagining the Future from the Margins: Cyborg Labor in Alex Rivera’s ‘Sleep Dealer’”, GeoJournal, 80(6), http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10708-015-9652-4