Mylene T. De Guzman
M.S. Geography, University of the Philippines Diliman
B.S. Geography (cum laude), University of the Philippines Diliman
Geographies of gender, labor geographies, geonarratives, health geographies, geographies of cyberspace
- Geography 1 (Places and Landscapes in a Changing world)
- Geography 119 (Geography of Movement)
- Geography 131 (Geography of the Philippines)
- Geography 145 (Geography of the Pacific)
- Geography 159 (Geography of Africa)
- Geography 185 (Medical Geography)
- Geography 192 (Field Methods in Geography)
- Geography 198 (Special Topic: Health Geography)
- Geography 198 (Special Topic: Geographies of Hallyu)
- Geography 199 (Seminar on Research in Geography)
- SEA 30 (Asian Emporiums: Networks of Culture and Trade in Southeast Asia)
- Geonarratives of Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) in Negros Island, Philippines
Duration: November 2020 – July 2021
Short Description: This project is funded by the Commission on Human Rights of the Philippines. The project highlighted the individual narratives of HRDs and microgeographies of violence in Negros Island.
- Voices of Yolanda: Narratives of Risk and Coping among Survivors of Typhoon Yolanda in Tacloban, Leyte; Guiuan, Eastern Samar, and San Francisco, Cebu
Duration: September 2014 – April 2015
Short Description: This is a multi-sited study on the perception of risk and decisions to evacuate among people in communities that were affected by Typhoon Haiyan (local name: Yolanda). The project was funded by the Department of Science and Technology – Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technology Research and Development (DOST – PCIEERD)
De Guzman, M.T., Palis, J., and Garcia E.B. (2022). Living in a material (COVID-19) world: COVID-19, materialities, and quotidian geographies in the Philippines. Material Culture. 54, 23-44.
Palis, J. and De Guzman, M.T. (2014/2021). Death by landscape, or re-animating cultural geographies in the Philippines. Philippine Geographical Journal. 57, 1-4.
Saguin, K.K., Lopez, Y., Cadag, J.R., De Guzman, M.T. and Garcia, E. (2021). Geography’s trajectories in Philippine higher education. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers. https://doi.org/10.1111/tran.12484
De Guzman, M.T. (2020). The L Words – lesbian and labor: Physical and social health impacts of call center work on lesbian women in Quezon City, Philippines. Philippine Journal of Social Development. 13, 1-17.
Dalisay, S.N. and De Guzman, M.T. (2016). Risk and culture: The case of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal. 25:5, 701-714, https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-05-2016-0097
Highly Commended Paper, 2017 Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence.